Friday 19 February 2010

I’ve been slack again haven’t I? Sorry.

Since I last wrote we have had Ellie’s 12th birthday. She was most annoyed that she had to go to school but as it was the last day of term off she went.

I did my last shift at work on Sunday - it seemed quite strange (and sad) walking into work knowing it was the last time for that company. I’m going in for a couple of hours on the last day (not to work, just to be there) and then we’re all in on Monday to pack everything up ready for it to be taken away.

On Tuesday we’re back again for a day with the new company. I have no idea what we’ll be doing but they want us there 9 till 5, maybe it’s some sort of induction?

We’ve had a meeting with the new company and met our new manager. He seems like a nice bloke, and hopefully will be easy going and a good laugh and not too scary to work for. I feel more positive about the whole thing now anyway.

I’ve been at the gym all week as usual. Last week I did some running to start my training for Race for Life and my knee really hurt halfway through and was really painful the following day (the previous - and first - time I tried running I had the same problem). My PT advised me to go to The Lincolnshire Runner, a shop (for runners strangely enough!!) in Lincoln to get fitted for some proper running shoes as my trainers were not only old but also not supportive enough for exercise. The man in the shop diagnosed my problem very quickly and I soon walked out with a nice new pair of running shoes. If you’re after running shoes and want excellent service then I highly recommend them. They know what they are talking about and have shoes for all budgets. I will be going back when I need to replace this pair.

The difference has been immediate - I’ve run a few times since getting them and had no problems with my knee, plus running seems so much easier as well. So, I am really getting into the training. Worryingly I am getting quite addicted to it which is quite amazing for someone who up until now has hated running and was always the one who got a lift back with the teacher during cross country PE lessons (and was always last in races at school). I had planned to do a run two or three times a week but at the moment I am wanting to run every day.

I also decided to splash out on a new pair of trainers for aerobics and other non-running exercise (running shoes support your feet in a different way to non-running shoes) and got myself a pair of Reebok easy tone shoes - supposedly they help tone up your leg and bum muscles as you walk. They are definitely weird to walk in at first and I can’t drive in them, so we shall see. Mind you, they’re not something I would wear when I’m not going to the gym so I may not get the full benefit of them.

I am really taking this whole exercise thing seriously which I like, and people are seeing the difference in me which is also nice too - I’ve lost 2.5 stone since September and have another 1.5 stone to go, possibly a bit more or less depending on when I get back into my size 8’s.

I also have a new project to keep me busy for a few days anyway - I am going to tile and paint the kitchen. When we had the kitchen done over 6 years ago we didn’t get it tiled partly for financial reasons, but there are a few places that really need doing so I have finally chosen some tiles, got some paint and just need to get on with it.

I may post photos when I have finished - if I ever get it started!! Being a master procrastinator I have found other things to do instead, including getting on with finishing The Quilt. Except there was a tangle of thread underneath it when I had almost finished so it’s currently still sat in the sewing machine waiting for me to go back to it.

I plan to devote some of Sunday to it otherwise it will never get done (I started decorating the breakfast room a few years ago and never finished it and had to throw away the tin of gloss paint the other day as it had solidified).

Half term has flown by, we haven’t managed to do much all week. We did go to the new Pets at Home store that opened today - I think half of Boston was there as well as it took ages to get a parking space and then ages to get out again, we ended up popping into MacDonalds for an ice-cream (for the children, black coffee for me) while we waited for the traffic to clear up a bit.

Ellie is desperate for a Leopard Gecko or a Bearded Dragon - now, I have to say I do like these types of reptiles (my fave is an iguana) and being hairless I wouldn’t be allergic to them, but they are blooming expensive, and I just know that the novelty would soon wear off and it would all be down to me to look after them, or something awful would happen and they’d die.

Sophie was almost in tears begging us for a rabbit when she spotted one she fell in love with. Have I shared with you the story of the birthday rabbit we got for Ellie 4 years ago? No? Let’s just say, it was the gift that kept on giving, within weeks one rabbit became 6 and a few months later another load appeared. We will never ever be getting a rabbit again, they’re worse than me for having babies!!

Cut the boys hair as well today at long last - Amos really needs a haircut too as it’s getting really long but all I could bring myself to do was trim it a bit in front of his ears. Even just that tiny bit made him look grown up, I’m not touching the rest and certainly not his spike, it would be like cutting what’s-his-name’s hair (my mind has gone completely blank and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the bloke who lost his powers when his hair was cut, come on, remind me).

That’s my quick update for the week. Have a good weekend whatever you’re doing.

No comments: