Ok, the secret project - it wasn’t a secret really, but here it is anyway.
I got the fabric a while ago (if you go back through my blog entries you’ll see it when it arrived) and then spurred on by a discussion on Facebook about Hungry Caterpillar quilts I decided to make a start on mine. I made it up as I went along but then looking online at what other people had done it seems that I made it the same as most people.
I would have liked to have had more colours for the sashing but that was what was available from the co-op so I had to make do but I am pleased with it.
I didn’t know how to quilt it - I felt that just stitching in the ditch or doing squares would be boring but I had never tried freehand quilting and was a bit scared of it. I decided to give it a go anyway and couldn’t believe just how easy it is. Ok, more experienced quilters would laugh at my attempt but I’m happy with it.
What I wasn’t so happy about was running out of quilting thread halfway through. I’m hoping eBay will come to the rescue. If not, well, I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I’ve used transparent thread for the top and primary variegated in the bobbin. The coloured thread comes through in a few places but I can live with that. Once the quilting is done I can bind it and then it’s finished. Already small battles are breaking out as to who gets it. It’s not for any one person, it’s for everyone to share.